Help graf_chokolo to fight against SONY

UPDATE from Dukio: Sony forced us to remove everything or graf_chokolo will going to jail. We can only get the donation page up for the time being.

Guys, i never wanted to take money from anybody for my work. And i always shared my work and code with PS3 developers and community. Recently i was working on bringing Linux to PS3 back, as you all know, unfortunately SONY managed to stop me. Many of you offered donations to help me continue my work and i always declined as you know. But now i really need your help and support in this fight with SONY. Please help me to pay my legal bills which are immensely because i cannot pay them on my own.

Here is my PayPal account: egorenar@gmail.com

And here is my bank account for direct transactions:

Alexander Egorenkov
Bank account:3726068
BLZ:60050101
BIC-/SWIFT-Code: SOLADEST
IBAN: DE62600501010003726068

Please donate as much as you can and want.
Thank you in advance.

Guys, just to make sure, my paypal account is OK again. I cleared up everything with paypal a week ago. The donate link above is for my legal fight only !!!

But who wants to sponsor my OtherOS and PS3 development, can donate here, i say to hell with SONY (it’s another paypal account which SONY cannot take away):

And to answer your question “What happens with the remaining money ?”, i intend to give it to CCC club so the club could help other guys like me which get sued by SONY or give it all to some charity organization. I give you my word on that and you know that i keep my word.

1,382 thoughts on “Help graf_chokolo to fight against SONY

1. Kreationz

Thanks, for clearing that up on the TRO issue Graf. I don’t understand German and had to us a translator for them. I see how ridiculous some of their claims really are. A questioned asked above and I’ll ask it again. Has your lawyer(s) tried to contest and of the TRO’s or even jurisdiction. SCEI owns all the patents not SCEE, just as in Geo’s case. SCEA tried to claim ownership there, but is denying they have ownership in the same courthouse in the OtherOS case here in the US. Honestly, in your case they’ve gone after you harder than GeoHot and for less of a reason as you haven’t done anything to do with signing or anything that could be used for piracy and have only tried to restore OtherOS and give us more access to our own hardware.

1. Kreationz

One more thing, your lawyer(s) should contact GeoHot’s and the ones involved in the OtherOS litigation. While US law isn’t applicable, knowledge of Sony tactics, and what they say on official record in those cases is.

2. DON´T BUY SONY PRODUCTS

@ Spider3 Cool Info, THX. Hopefully this will help to teach $ONY an lesson. I did read the PDF , and it sounds very good to me.

1. Kreationz

Reply sounds good to me and this guy should get in contact with the people in the US OtherOS litigation. The type of legal challenges are the best way to fight this. $ony may have billions of $$$ at their disposal, but their consumers have a far greater voice if they act a whole and especially so if they do it on a global scale.

3. Jamaican

Fuckin Sony – U dont need any Blog Alex, just upload ur Stuff to RS or any other Filerhoster. The Community has ur Back. Do ur Thing, we´ll still support u.

4. FoxCool

Hi, I started reading your problem with sony, I’m Argentina, I’m really looking for someone who definitive work on something for PS3, is contact me have financial and legal.

5. mes113

Надеюсь всё будет отлично! Сони тупые уроды . Я целиком и полностью поддерживаю тебя! Спасибо тебе за все твои труды , они не пропадут зря!

6. graf_chokolo

I found some interesting information about SONY’s lawyer, Mr Arnold from “Arnold und Reuss”, guys. Apparently, he is among PS3 hackers and developers a very well known “hitman” of SONY and doing SONY’s “dirty jobs” for several years already. He is following always the same pattern, trying to intimidate and scare off PS3 developers with high money penalties if they do not cooperate. And those TROs against me were signed by always the same “old friend” of Mr Arnold, a judge from Hamburg, who either doesn’t understand what’s going on, or doesn’t care, or has a misplaced trust in SONY’s “justice” or is “playing” on SONY’s side which makes him a very dangerous person i think. Maybe someone of our justice and freedom “fighters” should take a closer look at this “old friend” of SONY. What do you think ? I won’t be surpised if i get another raid ordered from Hamburg soon. You should have seen Mr Arnold, guys, during the second “visit” of SONY at my home. His hands were trembling and he was desperately trying to find a USB drive with “coolstuff.rar” (whatever it is) in my home. My old university professor would call him “a typical sunny boy”. I was cool and determined and he was behaving like his home was raided. I guess SONY wasn’t happy with HV bible release after the first raid and he got a severe drubbing from SONY for slipping it through his hands.

1. ModIT

what does you lawyer says – any chance to get this TRO lifted? It is obviously not true what Sony told the judge.

2. Stefan

Bei einer hausdurchsuchung hast du das recht einen unabhängingen Zeugen dabei zu haben…. ich würd den anwalt anrufen und fragn ob er als zeuge kommen kann….und dann darf sony erstmal ~3std. oder so vor der tür warten :)

7. Mindspore

I think $ony would like to stop u coz they scares about some sensible data that the ps3 broadcast to the internet. Maybe they are unlucky if some n1ceguys found out about… i really can imagine that they would have the ability to take control of OFW > 3.55 and make some dirty dirty shit with that….. Greetz from Ruhrgebiet

8. Spider3

Good job Graf posting this information. SonyRecon Guys will dig out some more informations that can be used for your case. And I am also confident that the European case against Sony will be a great help to you.. Sony, payback time will arrive. Expect it ;)

9. Deon5702

From South Africa just donated to your cause. Thanks a lot for keeping on fighting… Hopefuly soon this issue could be resolved. Sony should learn from apple’s mistakes. A big problem in these types of cases is usually the judge doesn’t totally understand the situation.

10. Arvind

I’m sorry to hear that they raided your house again Graf. My hatred for Sony’s tactics just go deeper everyday. I know you said you value hacking and knowledge more than your life, I understand you but I honestly think it’s not worth it. I will donate more when I can, to help you try and win this fight. Unfortunately, I don’t have as deep a knowledge as you have on how hardware really works, else I wouldn’t have hesitated to continue/help your work :(

11. Biobunny

Sorry to hear, I’m poor so I cannot donate. Well though GO live the life you’ve earned and don’t let those hitmen stand in your way!

12. King Reggin

Time for Graf to go to prison. Then the German government can order all the hackers on this blog to go to Germany for execution, as Sony is right in these regards. Once people realize that Sony is God and hackers are traitors to their countries, all will be well.

1. Kreationz

Yeah, Bill Gates adn Steve Jobs should be executed for their hacking efforts as well… (Insert sarcasm). Don’t forget to include the military, CIA, FBI, and every other law enforcement agency or spy agency in the world because all hackers are bad right?

1. jrmad

you guys don’t get it rather than fighting sony just let it lie ur fking it up for the rest of us. i am all for ur rights but i just want to do what playstation was designed for,hard to believe, play some games

13. MatrixOne

@Graf, Schade das es dich wieder erwicht hat. Ich sehe hier aber die rechtmäsigkeit der 2. unterlassungserklärung in frage gestellt, den mit welcher begründung oder mit welcher beweiskraft hat sony bewiesen das es so ist wie sie es darstellen, daher ist es nun wichtig das dein anwalt deteilliert Beweist das die anschuldigung nciht zu trifft das dein OtherOs projekt das raubkopieren ermöglicht. was auch interresant ist das nur § 97 UrhG angeewand wird im beschluss vom Februar, ansonten alles PER ZPO geht, die Haftandrohung hängt ja auch nur mit den 5T € zusammen Ordnungsgeld wegen verletzung der UE, somit haist es ja zahlste nicht gehste für einen zeitrahmen in die Kiste. aber dennoch mich wundert nur das Sony gegen 3 § vorgeht und einen relevanten nicht mal im ansatz erwähnt. was sagt und das? hier noch mal kleine zusammen fassung 11.02.2011 § 97 UrhG; §§ 890, 935 ZPO 21.03.2011 § 890 ZPO was ich aber nirgends sehe ist § 108b UrhG, daher frag ich mcih wieso sony überhaupt die UE(TRO) gegen dich erwirken konnte?!? Das andere war es nciht mal so das Sony Die PS3 aufgrund das sie die möglichkeit hatte linux zu installieren Als PC deklarieren musste für die einführ beim zoll? und nichtals spiele konsole? könnte auch ein netter punkt sein der geprüft werden müsste weil wenn die PS3 immer noch als PC eingeführt wird per Zoll dann sind die ganzen ansprüche meiner meinung nach haltlos. das andere ist, gibts ggf Bei dem Richter eine befangenheit ? all sowas könnte dazuführen das sony den kürzeren zieht. ich drück dir jedenfalls alle daumen die ich habe :D

1. sirup

§108 UrhG dürfte für das Strafrecht maßgeblich sein und hat in einer Zivilklage wohl nichts zu suchen. Den Beweissicherungsbeschluß muss Sony auf zivilrechtliche Gründe setzen. Strafrechtlich habe man auch eine Anzeige aufgegeben. Ob der Staatsanwalt das verfolgt? Oder seh ich das falsch?

1. MatrixOne

Normal ist es so um eine Hausdurchsuchung zu erwirklen muss ja strafrechtlich vorgegangen werden sonst könnte jeder per ZPO irgend wen verklagen udn eine Hausdurchsuchung erwirken daher ist es so das grundsätzlich ja nur mit strafbefehl eine Husdurchsuhung durchgeführt werden darf. und da ich in den veröffentlichten akten nirgens einen §§ sehe der richtung strafrecht geht ist eine HD unzulässig udn alles was beschlagnamt wurde darf auch nciht als beweismittel genutzt werden. war ja damals bei mir auch, da wurde wegen uhrheberechtsverletzung ein strafbefehl erlassen das ist aber aus den unterlagen nciht zu ersehen die unterlagen hier sind nur rein unterlassung. und nirgend ist der strafbefehl zu finden sollte da wiederrechtlich eine hausdurchsuchung erflgt sein ist das schon ein verstoss gegen das GG Art 13. müsste man genauer wissen welche rechtsbefhele erlassen wurden und auf welche art.

1. sirup

Keine Hausdurchsuchung im Rahmen des Strafrechts. Laut erstem Beschluss des LG HH: im Rahmen eines selbstständigen Beweisverfahrens gemäß §§ 485 ff. ZPO – wegen der Eilbedürftigkeit ohne Gewährung rechtlichen Gehörs Es waren Beweissicherungsverfahren gegründet auf die ZPO

14. Pingback: Sony Forces Graf To Remove PS3 Stuff Or Risk 6 Month Jail – graf_chokolo | Nick's Zone

15. BOOTLEG_LOBY

yo Alexander Egorenkov or graf_chokolo culd u plz just fuking hurry up and end the war with sony or just make a special agreement just for the 2 of you bcuz ur not just hurting SONY u r hurting US 2, why dont u just let us sign in so we could at least playonline with our friends bcuz im am fuking tired of playing campaign or split-screen i want to play online so can u PLZ COPREHENDE, LET US SIGN IN OR JUST STOP THE WAR BCUZ I NO U DNT WANT TO GO TO JAIL OR PAY A BIG FUKING FINE SO JUST MAKE A FUKING AGREEMENT ALREADY PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM NOT AGAINST U I JUST WANT TO PLAY ON THE SONY PS3 SYSTEM I PURCHASED AND GET MY MONEYS WORTH I USE 2 B A HACKER 2 BUT SONY WAS ON MY DICK SO I STOPPED SO PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! END THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. v0id_walker

Anon isn’t doing shit right now, so its sony’s fault that their PSN is dying, not grafs, nor hackers.

16. Varios

Bootleg loby, I think you’re confusing quite a few things here. Graf Chokolo has nothing to do with the current troubles with PSN, his problems with sony stem from an entirely different source, namely the fact that he’s trying to restore functionality that sony has taken away from us and make it better in the process. In short, not only does he not have anything to do with the current network issues (other than serving as inspiration for anonymous’ initial attacks, but that’s not his fault either) , but what he’s trying to do will benefit us all. So please don’t say statements like that when you don’t know the whole story. As I alluded to above, Anonymous is the one that you should be pointing your anger at, if indeed they are behind the current attacks, since last we’ve heard they stopped attacking the PSN for the very reason that you’re objecting to, ie they’re hurting more than just sony. However, If you still wish to bring the issue up with them I can only point you to the 4chan website and the various other sites run by them. A quick google search should net you the information you will require. However I would advise against that tactic as the anonymous group is a rather unpredictable bunch so you may end up getting in over your head. Especially if you end up blundering in there like you have done here. Putting all that aside to get to the root of your little tirade for a moment, could you please tell me why graf should capitulate and subsequently ruin his life just because you’re not able to play online for a day or so? It’s not the end of the world if you can’t play online, and it’s not as if his capitulating would actually change anything so why don’t you spend your downtime doing something more constructive such as reading up on what’s actually happening in the scene, or perhaps reading some novels to increase your grasp of the english language/internet decorum. With that out of the way, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Graf for all he’s done for the community. You’re a true hacker (meant in the best sense possible) and the work that you’ve done, and continue to do is greatly appreciated. Keep up the good fight, we’re all rooting for you.

17. Bitza

@Spider3 I don’t think so. Look @ german native speakers comments. They’re saying that the document isn’t written by a lawyer, and it shows some german rules there…

18. Spider3

@Bitza Yes I saw it.. :( sad, that was the only good news nowdays. Seems Sony at the end save his own ass, always. But I won’t give up and keep fighting to annoy, disturb, boycott, spread the world, until Sony finally will give us back our rights.

1. Bitza

I’m very impressed about Sony. If you look at the precedent sues by Sony, the company itself is more than RAGING. Look at Microsoft. Did they sue someone for doing a CFW or modding a Xbox? Sony is definetely RAGING. SONY, YOU HAVE BEEN HACKED. STOP RAGING, YOU ARE NOT PERFECT, NEITHER YOU, NEITHER YOUR DAMN PS3. OtherOS is a game? Seriously, BLOODY TWATS.

19. Stefan

graf, a good question for the judge/sony might be to ask why ppl are not allowed/why there isnt any official possibility to downgrade their ps3s…(for example to use 3.21fw etc.) mit der frage kann man auch zum punkt kommen was einem alles erlaubt werden darf, kann usw. ;)

20. Pingback: MODSonair – MODSonline Podcast » MODSonair Episode 278

21. sandman

i’m sorry but…there’s something that I dont understand.. why graf or geo are trying to restore something of ps3 or hacking it etc etc etc. why? sony make ps3, it’s legal owner of ps3 rights, and sony can do what want about ps3. if someone dont like or criticize.. can simply avoid to buy ps3… it seems to be only an exercize about personal skills, without any utility for normal ps3 users.. so i dont understand why put himself in troubles… bah…

1. MatrixOne

the point is other then you tink. i will try to explain it I bought a PS3 for 599 €, so with the option of OtherOs okay i have now the option if i dont play any game i can switch it to use it with linux as full PC. but now Sony say if you will use linux you dont have the right to play the newest games. so the other point is sony says you are the owner of the hardware but you have only a license of using the FW. so now way i have to pay for a FW crash? like RSOD or a Brick when i install a newer FW? this is a point Sony is owner of The Fw then they have to support free repair of issue of FW trouble like RSOD and so.

2. xPreatorianx

See this is where you are entirely wrong. Sony don’t own my console. If they owned my console I would have signed a legally binding document at the time of purchase that said I am leasing it from them. I did not sign any documents at the time of purchase. Likewise Sony removed an advertised feature and than gave people a catch 22 type choice between keeping other OS and losing future game support, or losing Otheros and retaining future game support. Graf and co fixed this. Whether you believe it or not sandman I fully own the PS3 that I purchased and I will do whatever I want with it. If I decide to use it to attack a website I will. (No I’m not saying I will.) The only way they could have justified this catch 22 is by giving everyone who bought the original models a percentage back of their investment. Well all know that will NEVER happen, unless the class action lawsuit is won.

22. jordanmoore

@sandman, seriously? I mean, wow. Say if this was your car for example, your brand spanking new Ferrari you’ve just bought from the Ferrari dealership. But when you buy the car they say “you’re only allowed to drive with sunglasses on”. Your reply would be along the lines of, “I don’t think so, I’ve purchased this car with my money, I’ll do whatever I damn well please in it”. It’s the same concept with the PlayStation 3 system. We’ve paid for the system and bought it out-right. When I bought mine from the shop it didn’t say “one time rental fee of £300″, it said “for sale £300″. This means I own the system, not Sony. Sony, however, seem to believe that they still own the System that we’ve purchased – and we have no rights over the system. Back to the car example again: say you wanted to change the gear ratios, and Ferrari turned around and said – you can’t do that, it’s our car. See where I’m going with this? Hackers like fail0verflow, geohot and graf_chokolo are/have been fighting for our rights, and essentially freedom of speech. geohot gave us the ability to run our own code on our system. And graf_chokolo is returning a feature that Sony illegally removed from the system.

1. ModIT

It is even more then that : The OtherOS is like you bought your ferrari after you saw a big ad telling you “buy a new ferrari and comes with high end sound system”. One day you woke up in the morning, opened your ferrari and found a note in it saying : “we removed the sound system, best regards ferrari”

1. jordanmoore

I knew I’d missed something out! Thanks for adding that :) Also, that note should include “if you put in another sound system we’ll take away all your tools and your ferrari and sue you. Have a nice day.” On a side note to Graf, have you not considered giving an interview to new companies. It’s interesting what you’ve found out so far regarding Sony authorising the TROs. Could be a massive story for a news company, and just what you need to win your case. If it turned out that Big organisations such as sony are able to manipulate the law to fit their needs, imagine the results from this kind of thing. Anyhow, that’s entirely up to you. Either way I’d like to thank you for your huge contribution to the scene, and good luck with your legal fight!

2. Sandman

@jordanmoore… your example is completely out (driving w sunglasses… lol..please…) if I buy a car BUT in the contract there is “You can’t modify or tune the car for use it on public road”.. I am free to decide to agree and buy the car or not. simple. QUOTE “Hackers like fail0verflow, geohot and graf_chokolo are/have been fighting for our rights, and essentially freedom of speech” Please dont say such bullshit. I dont ask to fail, geo or graf to be my “knights of freedom”. they do it only for celebrate himself. 99% of psn users are not able or interested to modify or play with linux etc etc Nobody ask to hackers to start such fight. why they dont go to fight for REAL freedom, against North Corea or other countries like it? how many peole it’s not really free? You guys are kidding..

1. Sandman

P.S. note I am an owner of ps3 80ghz (that initially able for installing an OS, now blocked) but It doesnt matter. In addition, to modIt, i want ask you “have you read the contract of sony ps3?” maybe there is a paragraph that let sony free to make software changes. if you buy, you agree with that. if you dont like..dont buy.. easy. I have bought ps3 only for gaming and and gaming online (and i’m not a 12 yo kid, but 53 yo man that like to relax sometimes). Psn down its against customers, not sony. remember. Who have done it, have limited MY freedom.

1. jordanmoore

You still don’t get it do you. Hackers like Graf and geohot and fail0verflow are doing nothing to effect anyone that doesn’t want. We’re not targeting everyone on the PSN, we’re helping out those who want the features Sony took away. It’s not our fault about the PSN outage, we have nothing to do. And I quote: “You can’t modify or tune the car for use it on public road”. Applying your text to the PS3, the public road would be the PSN. We are modifying the car, but not putting it on the public road. I would be surprised to find anyone on this blog who cares about putting their ps3 online. Also, to further insult your post. PS3 80ghz? “ghz” refers to Gigahertz and in no way can be related to the console. You meant GB. I don’t care if you’re 12 or 1200, the fact remains you’re missing the point here. Yes, the hackers that are attacking the PSN (if it really is hackers) are being ass holes to the community, but hackers like geohot, graf and fail0verfow have NOTHING to do with that. Infact, if Sony weren’t making such a bit deal of everything you wouldn’t even know about what we were doing. Hackers aren’t all this evil bunch of people who just ruin things for everyone. P.S. I’m 17. And to put it all in layman’s terms for you: we have nothing to do with the PSN – take those arguments off this blog. This blog is about Linux, it does not affect you in ANY way.

1. Sandman

Hi Jordan ok restart ;) (sorry but my engl its not more fluent as many years ago) we are talking bout 2 different things. 1) psn hacking: maybe possible that are Anonymous. but also possible that are other people mistyfiyng to be Anon. I dont know it. Maybe Anon could make an official comunicate to clear it? I think coul be very very useful, to say “No, Anon its not responsible” or also for explain real reasons in positive. I’m ready to accept and respect a clear explanation) I dont link PSN down with geo/graf. 2) geo,graf etc are absolutely genious hackers. they like to explore possibilities of programming etc etc etc nothing to say! I respect very much all you guys. really! (OMG ghz…. my idiot mistake, obviously are GB eheh) BUT one thing is to explore. other its to do something that its non legal. wrong or right that could be. I dont like planetary megafactories as Sony, Micros, Esso, BP, Cocacola etc etc i know that are like a moloch. but…you are very young and in the future you will discover that.. top hackers probably will work for such companies or govmt agencies.. If I were father of geo or graf, i suggest them to leave such kind of battles.. Have you never read the story of Don Quijote de la Mancha of Miguel Cervantes?.. read it. remember, that 99% of users don’t agree, cuz they want only have some fun, and have real problems in real life. In any case, Im sorry for off topic intrusion in that blog friendly :)

23. hans jürgen nicht

gegen sony vorzu gehen ist eigentlich eine gute sache nur sollte mann es nicht übertreiben wie vor zwei tagen ……………das psn ist immer noch offline und ich hatte mich eigentlich auf eine schöne runde online gefreut :D

1. MatrixOne

Was hat das mit aktionen von sony zu tun du… Solltest dich erher informieren einAmazon Coud ist hochgegangen wo das PSN gehostet wird. sp einfach ist die sache!! Du bist nen echter Sony Fanboy der das glaubt was sony ihm erzählt. sorry leute wie dich kann ich net ab haben.

24. Spider3

Graf, this time some good confirmed news: Finland, court decided sony must pay 100 Euro to a private customer due the removal of otheros, feature that was present at the moment of purchase. http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/sony-should-pay-%80100-forced-other-os-removal-85452/ 100 Euro is nothing of course, but I am sure you lawyer can may be point out a note that the judge can be interested in (stll if we don’t have a truly corrupted judge as we suspect..)

1. jordanmoore

Now just if Sony had to pay that to every fat PS3 owner :) In all seriousness though, Sony aren’t going to pay the man – they’ll make up some excuse which they’ll wave in front of the court and they’ll blindly follow it. NB: That article says it’s the CCB that’s advised Sony to pay this – not the court; they do influence the court however.

25. Spider3

it’s not the main talk here, I know, but does someone rejoice for the 2 days psn down and sony just claimed “external hacker intrusion?” Of course ;) They just nuked themself and point the finger to anonymous just to blame someone bhawawa! Graf let us know how are you doing. Keep us posted and remember..just ask, even if I doubt you will ever ^^

1. Spider3

Anyway, false. You are referring to an old news. Update: The outage, which is not believed to be connected to the Amazon problem, began at 9.30pm on Wednesday night. Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1379474/Web-chaos-Amazon-cloud-failure-crashes-major-websites-Playstation-Network-goes-AGAIN.html#ixzz1KFGOzu2u Ok, Stop now spamming Graf’s Blog with non related stuff ^^

26. Spider3

Legit? Why not donating directly to Graf at the moment? It’s the only “running” sue that need to be fighted asap

27. NeoNLioN

I know that you are not directly related with the currect attacks on Sony’s PSN, but if you do know who is responsible in this matter, could you please ask them to stop? This is bullshit! You and people like you are the ones that are not hurting Sony, you’re hurting their customers. I know your kind my think you’re fighting for something, but if this was gang warfare, your kind would be considered the worst gangbangers ever, because you’re only hitting innocent bystanders!!! I mean this in the nicest way to you and your kind, please FUCK OFF!!!

1. jordanmoore

Graf is hurting the customers in ABSOLOUTLY NO WAY! In fact, the work he’s doing doesn’t even involve the PlayStation Operating System. I hate people like you who throw false allegations at people because you’re pissed. Graf is working on Linux, not PSN, not piracy, not effecting users, not hurting sony. You’re just looking for someone to blame and are all too eager to point the finger. Before you throw claims like this you should actually gain some knowledge in the area! You’re the kind of person that would accuse an atheist of teaching their children religious views… I think as a unanimous vote, every single hacker or programmer or person that actually knows what’s going on will request that you – as you so kindly put it – “fuck off”. P.S. This is not gang warfare, this is reality. And you’re a Sony fanboy with your head so far up Sony’s ass and the PSN that you can’t actually see what’s going on here. /rant

1. ModIt

Yesterday i had my doubts, but it comes more and more clear, that they shut down psn and rebuild it with new security because of credit card fraud…

1. jordanmoore

I have to agree that there are some hackers out there doing things which hurt the community – such as the PSN outage if hackers are actually responsible. But it just annoys me when people point the finger at guys like graf, who have nothing to do with it! Regarding the PSN though. The security was abysmal. Seriously, I designed securer network systems when I was 16.

28. JesterLestat

You guys are so ridiculous. You are avoiding the fact that in the Terms of Use that you have to agree to when you purchase the equipment, the hardware is yours the software, including the OS, firmware, drivers, etc. is owned by Sony, and only leased to you per the End User License Agreement (the EULA that you agreed to when you first turned on your machine). Not to mention that it’s included in the terms you agreed to when you signed up for PSN that you would use a non modified system for connection to their private network. If you wanna mod your system it is your hardware and technically you have the right to do that, but in doing so you’ve already agreed in the EULA that you also agree not to use their services or products with the modified system. Same way you purchase a CD but not the rights to freely distribute or resell the music on that CD. It’s all legal and I’d be surprised if Graf and everyone else ends up owing Millions and or serving lengthy prison sentences.

1. JesterLestat

Another side note to add to that, it’s just like all the room sprays and what not that you purchase that have the statement that intentional misuse of the air freshener is illegal. Sure you purchased it but in doing so you have also agreed under law that your intended use of the product is the use that was intended for it. Sure it’s your body, your mind and your bottle of spray. But the products in our stores have intended uses that they are marketed for and are illegal to use for particular other purposes.

2. jordanmoore

1) We’re not using the PSN, or Sony’s services 2) Sony are harassing Graf for installing a free OS (linux) on HIS hardware 3) You’ve got the law wrong. Whilst all the software is owned by Sony, they have no legal ground to stop us modifying it – that’s completely legal in most countries. What it stops us doing is distributing THEIR code. I.E we have to distribute our mods as patches. And also, there are no terms that we agree to when we purchase the equipment. When I bought mine from the shop, the guy didn’t say to me “here are the terms you must adhere to”. The main terms come into play when questioning the PSN – a service we’re not interested in using.

3. sirup

You are wrong. SCEA tells the world and the court that you are not allowed to alter your hardware – that part that contains the firmware. Simply because it is protected under the DMCA. If you like to get rid of all Sony IP and you are able to put your own firmware on it, your still srewed up.It is protected by the DMCA. There is only one chance. Be a Sony slave, play games and pay. Or pay for recycling your PS3. Because the hardware is worth nothing and protected to its core. You can’t do nothing with this DMCA protected chips. XOu pay but you don’t own anything in return. You pay for a service that can be cut and even ended by Sony at any time without any compensation.

29. SporeSprout

Go Graf!!! Sony blows and ther dumb for trying to make me change MY HARDWARE! Thax to all who help the Scene! Especially Graf!

30. Go to jail

I hope you go to phoning prison you piece of shit. You and your asshole hacker buddies, anonymous, all deserve to share a cell with a huge gaggle named bruno.

1. ModIt

How did this mastercard ad says “The best things in life are free”, and i really really love it to watch the fallout of the psn downtime. For all of these 12 y.o. kids a life without psn is like taking away cocaine from a junkie… Maybe a good time for some parents to think about letting their kids play on psn. Obviously PSN is greating addicts, maybe its better to sell the ps3, before your kids are really fucked up. So no matter who/what did this: Hackers Anon Sony fucked up their network themself Steam/Portal 2 fucked up the system or something/someone else : Thanks for this incredible entertainment :D Never laughed that much in my life.

1. Spider3

Agreed ^^ I’m having so much fun reading the comments of psn addicted on the forums ^^ Let’s wait till psn back up. Then $ony *should* finally calm a bit down about “let’s sue all the world”. If not, will be a matter of time until who did this, will strike again. Strong security systems can’t be built in a few days without leaving any small door opened. I don’t think Sony fucked up themself..not during Easter. I suppose the whole shutdown was due the high risk of confidential informations (Credit cards..) being leaked. Anyway, thanks a lot to the person(s) managed to show sony it’s time to stop being in “GOD-mode” ;)

31. Sandman

@ jordanmoore & ModIt sorry :) I reply to your posts of april 22 after mine, but my replies are …uspstairs eheh (i was expecting to see my replies at the end of page) bye

1. Cookie

http://anonops.blogspot.com/2011/04/we-didnt-do-it-sony-incompetent.html It’s not anon. It’s Sony. Once again. Nothing to do with ps3 hackers (probably not anyway, only sony knows and they’re blaming external forces, which people interpret as hackers, but it can mean ANYTHING, like bad weather even, to take the blame away from them)

1. ModIt

My best bet is Valve/Steam fucked up the network. Its plausible, that the first 3rd party game with multi-plattform steam support and without any beta test, could crash the whole psn network.

32. Anthony

Graf, is your lawyer arguing against this? The best way to fight this is to give the court the knowledge that all you’re doing is restoring a feature that they supported. In the end it’s their own fault they removed an advertised feature. As someone else said, SCEE doesn’t own the Patents, copyrights etc. with the PS3, so they have no Authority to go after you for your work

33. Go to jail

Hey Jordan…hackers like these three, ” aren’t doing anything to hurt ps3 users”? Then explain the ps3 network being down the past four days. And explain the two Anonymous video releases that state they are targeting Sony in response to the legal actiion they took against Geohot. Sounds like you’re the one that’s uninformed. If any of these three are linked to bringing down Sonys system then I hope they go to jail. You think this is all fun and games but it affects real people. I am a cancer patient and I’m dying. I have no family and am alone. My only escape is playing games online. It helPs me forget, even if just for a while, that I’m dying. So fuck these guys for making me feel my pain again. And fuck you idiots for supporting him.

1. jordanmoore

As I’ve repeatedly said, geogot, graf_chokolo and fail0verflow have NOTHING to do with the PSN outage. I’m not uninformed, I know all about Anonymous’ attacks – and I also know that NONE of their attacks target the PSN; the closest one to attacking the PSN was the PSN Store. I’m not talking about Anonymous though, am I. I’m talking about geo, gra and fail. Don’t bring the cancer excuse in on this. You’re alone because you sit in on the PSN all day rather than making friends. It makes me laugh how so many of you cry at the PSN being out.

2. v0id_walker

You might want to learn no read before you start screaming like some retarded kid. Anon didnt do it, probably no hackers did that either. Sony is probably updateting their servers, sice they run on some outdated linux. Thta info about anon if so fucking old. They have stopped after a day, when they realised, that they are hurting customers more than sony.

34. scristopher

@gotojail you sir are a idiot and more than likely a butt hurt crybaby [quote]So fuck these guys for making me feel my pain again[/quote] omfg looool what a fucking baby lmao

1. cryptr

Still, PSN downtime has nothing to do with us running linux on our PS3s. We cant even use PSN from them when we are in linux. And in a few decades when you are old and have cancer, you will feel so silly remembering this, so will most your friends who knew you posted here. Lol @ all. As stated before, Xbox live if you really want to play online.

35. Go to jail

I’m not going to get old you moron. What part of “dying” do you jot understand? I’m not some 13 year old kid…I’m a 26 year old thug that unfortunately has cancer. Just in case you haven’t heard…there’s no cure for cancer yet. In about six months I won’t care because I’ll be dead. And think about how silly the hackers will feel being in prison and being so ones bitch for the next ten years…all over being able to use their ps3 in ways they want to use it. You think you’re on the right side of the law…then take Sony to court instead of hacking into their system like spoiled little brats.

1. cryptr

Cancer or not, You do lack manners. Besides as stated before. It is my PS3, not Sonys, PSN is theirs but the PS3 I own is mine. Also, Thug? Have you googled what that even means or are you just throwing it around because it feels good?

36. scristopher

dude you are in the wrong place to be talking you sound like a butthurt baby back bitch here – just saying – this has nothing to do with psn being down – we are not responsible for that – if you want to complain goto the proper place to complain – the sony psn forums

1. Go to jail

Nothing huh. Your action have consequences. One of which is Anonymous hacking ps3′s network. That’s a direct cause and effect dumbass. So this is a very appropriate place to bitch. Now, can your feeble mind comprehend that or not? Probably not…since you used burtbutt bitch twice and couldn’t come up with a new put down the second time around. Go fuck with someone on your same intellectual level….I think I hear the bell ringing to let the first graders out for recess….go pick on one of them. You ought to match up better with one of them.

1. ModIt

Anon are a bunch of kids, they dont have the knowlege and ressoures to hack such a large network. And I seriously doubt that any non-goverment organisation has the ressources to bring down psn so easily. This is a technical fuckup nothing more…

37. scristopher

you come to this forum to complain at us because you cant get on psn – which is not a result of anything we are doing here – I call you a butthurt bitch because thats what you sound like – There is absolutely no reason for you to be here complaining – its not like its going to help – and your complaining to the wrong people. It seems you have a hard time understanding who is who here and what is really going on. You should be complaining in the psn forums because they are the ones who control psn – they have said that there was an issue with psn and downtime would be longer due to the fact that they are improving security. None of us on this board are hacking psn – none of us including graf know what the issue is nor are we causing it – why dont you goto 4chan.org get on /b/ or /i/ and bitch at anon instead of us if you think its anon causing psn downtime. We never asked anon to hack psn and they have also denied doing it, for now if you want to play online stick to your pc and xbox. No reason to act like a child whose toy got taken away – and you know what they took our toy away and we are trying to fix it ourselves

1. ModIt

IF anon would be able to do such a impressive hack, do you guys really think, they would hit a low-value target like psn? They would kill something, with front page attention on every media site and not psn. Did everybody outside of the ps3 scene even notice that psn is down?

38. Spider

@All (who knows for what is this blog used) Ignore the trolls made by the psn addicted kids. Even if you explain them carefully what’s going out, there is no chance they get it until psn comes back and they’ll go back flaming online. Let’s try to keep Graf’s blog clean and usefull to supply him informations AND donations about his case. Just ignore, and the remeaning trolls will just go back flaming elsewhere.

39. Eichman

Gruss gott, Guten tag, Hello, Bonjour: Please, can some people try to keep this blog clean and leave out the vulgarity. I underdtand thta soe are angry. It could help justice and fairness reach a better higher stage. In the US there are people who have come together as they have some concerns with a major Japanese firm that is headed by a man of British and American citizenship apparently? So are there not laws in a few countries that could affect this firm are there not?? I understand that this Japanese firm with offices, some kind of company operations around the world has supposed concerns about their rights, including copyright and security? Well, if that is the case, then others are perhaps at liberty to check it all out? Could young active people around the world take the time to check it all out and see who owns what and who designed what around Playstation 3? For sure it is not sad that there is a lot of negative emotions right now about, around what looks so nice that was supposed to do everything?? Why would anyone have perhaps created this suituation? And for what purpose? Surely there are better ways to generate business and good will and do more? The anwers to these questions could be troubling or alternatively might solve some of the troubling issues? Good searching I hope?

40. jordanmoore

Okay @Sandman, restart ;) 1) I agree that if there are any PSN attacks going on, they’re out of order to be honest – I’m not supporting those in any shape or form. True, Anonymous could be anyone, but AnonOps (who were targeting Sony) aren’t claiming the attack to be theirs. With Sony though – they could have tried to update something and messed it up and come out with “yeah, they hacked us”. Alternatively someone could have done it, we’ll never really know. Though I read somewhere the attackers may have stolen credit card details which makes me believe this is done by hackers with financial motivation. 2) True, it’s probably not the greatest idea to stay in a fight like this – but someone really needs to do it. The argument comes from we believe what we’re doing should be legal – and Sony are trying to say that it isn’t legal. This battle is more than just a civil rights case – it could change the future of computing laws about what we’re allowed and not allowed to do on our consoles. Sony have already sent out dangerous messages, and if they’re allowed to keep doing so and keep winning – what’s to stop other companies doing the same thing? It’s kind of like a dictatorship for hardware :P Yes, I know that hackers will work for such companies in the future – but the hacking community has high morals; companies that treat hackers badly will suffer in the future because the hackers they treated badly will decline any jobs by the company that treated them badly.

1. sandman

Ok Jordan. now I understand better a lot of things. Regarding PSN.. its difficult to understand what REALLY there is at back. maybe credit card krackers? maybe microsoft hackers? (lol). IN ANY CASE, FOR ME IT’S CLEAR THAT PSN down it’s NOT connected with graf, geo etc. ;) (Its difficult to understand what really happens on PSN… it’s difficult to imagine which strage kind of reasons for so many days of PSN down….SECURITY REASONS? mah…) for what concern graf geo etc now I understand WHY they are “fighting” with sony, but really.. in any case I think its not a good idea. You know that there are similar dictatory situation regarding the biggest petroleum companies.. and you know how much difficult is to try some action against them (and have no results..) (not talking also about tobaccos giants…) I fully agree that, at MY home, I must be free to open a ps3 and do what I like with linux or other mysterious software (for me..lol). It’s a “concept” of freedom. But you also know that sony have the terror of people that is able to enter in deep secrets of ps3 lol I have some doubts about possibilities of win the legal battle between “little” guys and “goliath Sony”, but I hope it. ciao! friendly sandman

1. ModIt

Acutally i’m not surprised, that some criminals tried to steal credit card information from psn (or actually suceeded). There were so many articles in the last months, showing us, that psn security (exspecially when it comes to credit card info) was a joke. In the end PSN was a too delicous temptation for some criminals and so they attacked the network. But i guess if they use your credit card info, sony has to pay compensation, because they didnt secured your info properly.

1. Cookie

Hehe. Hackers abuse OtherOs, Sony takes it away Hackers abuse PSN (sp-int and prod-qa), Sony takes it away(?). :)

2. jordanmoore

All bottles down to personal feelings I suppose. I also think it’s a tough battle which he could do without – but then again, if no-one fights Goliath, they can do whatever they like. :( As for the security of the PSN. Completely with you there ModIt. Our data wasn’t even encrypted :@ Sure, it was being sent over SSLV3, but behind that it was plain text of our passwords and credit card details etc. Got to think about it from those hackers point of view: They could spend their time hacking something like a bank – or an insecure credit card system for millions of users. Thinking about it, I found a possible mySql injection to the actual console itself – never cared to actually explore it’s potential though.

1. jordanmoore

Ah, buzz kill, checking out the code again it’s a SQL injection to Sony’s facebook related database.

3. sirup

I have not bought yet the credit card legend. The date of portal2 release on 19.4.2011 and when psn went down as the connection between psn and steam shows me a pivot point. It would have been a surprise if that hasn’t revealed some error and bugs and features. This isn’t a simple hack, where you have to fix the bug and reset the password. Time tells me. Looks like Sony is out of imagination what to do. If it was credit card hackers, they will have the bug and a solution to it. This seems to go a lot deeper into overall design fault. My humble guess. But this is not relevant. Neither what happened nor why. Sony offered a product and is liable for this offering. Even liable in the sense that it is not misused, that it is secure and ready to serve. Those are the basic principles of business. No doubt, Sony is liable for the outtake in first place. It is the duty of Sonys consumers to address Sony for that downtime. You can’t blame a man on the street, the government an apple or a pear. It is Sony who has to take care of their products. It is Sony who is responsible for their errors and defects in design. Neither geohot nor graf chokolo nor credit card data dealers. It is Sonys error and fault. Even if another hacker found it and made it public. It is still their fault. Sony is responsible for their product. They have to fix it. And fix it doesn’t mean “take away the feature”. If you are angry about the down time of the psn, address Sony. Sony sold it. Sony is responsible and in charge. Sony is your partner. Not graf chokolo not geohot. It is Sony. Please address your complain to the one who has an agreement with you. That is Sony. Don’t let them slip away with lies. It is business to serve and maintain a product over time. And it is neither good practice nor usual to cut a feature. It is good practice and usual to serve new features with upgrades. Even if security is at stake and a does matter. If your not satisfied with a product, don’t argue with a random man in the street. Address the one you have an agreement with. Who exchanged features and characteristics with money. Demand those features and don’t let them pull your leg. I haven’t seen a company so big and respected, which such a lame excuse for defective design. And the consumers are buying it! Put it in a novel an NO ONE will belief it, this will ever happen. But it has.

41. Jamaican

Hey Graf, is there any Source/Blog etc. where we can read whats going on with u and Linux (and Sony ^^) Why dont u make a Thread @Gulli or somewhere, where they cant be forced to erase ur Threads, Informations?