Help graf_chokolo to fight against SONY

UPDATE from Dukio: Sony forced us to remove everything or graf_chokolo will going to jail. We can only get the donation page up for the time being.

Guys, i never wanted to take money from anybody for my work. And i always shared my work and code with PS3 developers and community. Recently i was working on bringing Linux to PS3 back, as you all know, unfortunately SONY managed to stop me. Many of you offered donations to help me continue my work and i always declined as you know. But now i really need your help and support in this fight with SONY. Please help me to pay my legal bills which are immensely because i cannot pay them on my own.

Here is my PayPal account: egorenar@gmail.com

And here is my bank account for direct transactions:

Alexander Egorenkov
Bank account:3726068
BLZ:60050101
BIC-/SWIFT-Code: SOLADEST
IBAN: DE62600501010003726068

Please donate as much as you can and want.
Thank you in advance.

Guys, just to make sure, my paypal account is OK again. I cleared up everything with paypal a week ago. The donate link above is for my legal fight only !!!

But who wants to sponsor my OtherOS and PS3 development, can donate here, i say to hell with SONY (it’s another paypal account which SONY cannot take away):

And to answer your question “What happens with the remaining money ?”, i intend to give it to CCC club so the club could help other guys like me which get sued by SONY or give it all to some charity organization. I give you my word on that and you know that i keep my word.

1,382 thoughts on “Help graf_chokolo to fight against SONY

1. Arnold Palmer

If you donated, you just got robbed. There is no official news source or court system with a record of any sort of lawsuit. This is a fraud.

1. domoran

Who cares … If graf would have just asked for donations I would just donate again. I appreciate the work he is doing for the community. Domoran

2. euss

How is the weather@SCEA California, Arnold Palmer ? Anyhow, nothing wrong with sceptisism, but just because you fail at finding/Google doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. Ever heard of the “proving a negative” problem? You fail to provide proof of your standpoint ;) (while graf_chokolo is still going on and strong in returning OtherOS back to ALL PS3 Computers and documenting/releasing his research & development). Fyi: “<graf_chokolo> : Good news guys, my lawyers gave me green light and i will upload some of my court documents today or tomorrow.”

1. ModIT

There is no need for a fraud – if graf would have asked for money to support his work, he would get the money. He is a talented guy and he is doing amazing work. Running linux on a ps3 could safe a lot of people a lot of money. You could staff whole universitys with linux ps3s – cheap and effective machines.

2. graf_chokolo

1. Cookie

Stop trolling. The below graf is when he’s logged in as admin, the other one is when he’s logged in normally and it goes all the way back from when he was posting on xorlosers blog. Compare it. It’s the same guy. And stop your bloody trolling.

1. HellX

hey alex, wohnst du in der nähe von stuttgart? wenn ja, ich auch (backnang) ich könnte dir ne größere summe bargeld geben wenn du damti einverstanden wärst ;) (somit kann sony dich nich an arsch kriegen wegerm paypal konto oder gar paypal selbst) grüße alex

3. graf_chokolo Post author

You know guys, what made really angry yesterday during SONY’s “visit” ? Not them taking my equipment again, that too of course. It was lend to me and i deeply apologize to the guys who gave me it. I’m talking now about something else. When i told the lawyer of SONY that i will make public what they are doing in my home and that SONY will get in trouble for that, he said that SONY doesn’t care about it. They don’t give a shit about me or you. So, why should i care about what they want me to do ?

1. ModIT

Well, tell your lawyers they should work on getting the stuff back. It is not your property – i don’t think it is that easy to seize property from other people which are not involved in the lawsuit.

4. graf_chokolo Post author

Guys, just to make sure, my paypal account is OK again. i cleared up everything with paypal a week ago. http://grafchokolo.com/grafchokolo-fight-sony.html

5. Cookie

I can’t believe there is so much doubt in this. Very simple proof, The Chaos Computer Club is supporting him. http://twitter.com/chaosupdates/status/52859848261509121

6. japsander

if you really want to carry on with your work Graf_chokolo then do so safely. this is a time for “anonymous” to put their money where their mouthes are and actually HELP people like Graf. band together if you really do stand behind your public statements and punish Sony in the “righteous” way. instead of infantile attacks on SONY which serves no purpose other than pissing off the enemy, actually HELP by finding safe ways for these devs to carry on their work. protect them. this is what will harm Sony more! why provoke when you can do what Sony fear most? Sony took away freedom so take away their dominance. perfect repercussion for their actions. anyway Graf, good luck in whatever you decide and don’t take any unnecessary risks, and put a sign on your front door stating that AV is recorded on the premises and record them if/when they come again. let their oppressive statements be broadcast to the world in their own tongue. :)

7. May_George_VEE_Six

I guess you’re gonna need more equipment… Tell me what you need… and I will see what I can do! Hang in there. Lass dich nicht unterkriegen! Wir stehen zu dir!

8. Deft

Graf, i sent a word of advice to your paypal email account as i have been in a simular situation, the only difference was, i wasn’t being sued for that much money. I would like for you to check it out as maybe it will help you in your decision. Thank you

9. prometheus

Hey digga! Sony hat, wo sie die PS3 rausgebracht haben, sie als Computersystem verkauft, da man so viel weniger impoert-export Steuern zahlt, als auf consolen! Das war der einzige grund für linux! Deine Strategie sollte sein, wenn sony weltweit alle Steuern bezahlt, um die sie sich herumgeschlichen haben, dann können wir weiter reden! Solang hast du keine Konsole, sondern ein PC, und hast allein schon steuerlich ein Recht auf Linux! Das kauft dir Zeit, und wird Sony angst machen! Schreib mir ne mail, ich kann dir noch viele Tipps geben! Hab außnahmsweise meine echte addy angegeben. Voller Support! Grüße

10. Sony Jim

The fact that you stand by your principles is known to us all Alexander. You’re a good person and because of this we all want you to be safe. What I am saying is we would all understand if you have to stop fighting because your future is in jeopardy. Go the distance but be sensible about it – if you get into deep water then a tactical withdraw so that you can take the fight to a new level is the smart way out. You have skill and you can find work that will satisfy and reward those efforts. Your “hobbies” can be done well out of sight. If you get successfully sued by Sony and are left with a big fine – personal bankruptcy will likely clear the slate anyway. You would never need to pay the bastards. Then a few smart and well placed donations to say your parents (not in your name) will help… You have options.

11. graf_chokolo Post author

UPDATED Here are stripped versions of the first TRO and the penalty because of HV bible: http://openjur.de/u/86561.pdf http://openjur.de/u/86443.pdf And here is a stripped version of the TRO from yesterday. http://openjur.de/u/91993.pdf http://openjur.de/u/91994.pdf It’s in German of course. Maybe someone could translate it. Take a look at those huge money sums they want from a small PS3 hacker and developer, and i’m still NOT impressed.

1. May_George_VEE_Six

Unbelievable… this is a Farce. I’m speechless about the Stupidity of our legal system… are they all nothing but Bitches actually working for the Corporations? Our Economy’s loosing billions because of Copyright infringement from China, while shaking their Hands and kissing their Butts… but if a Coder tweaks a “protected” System he is treated like Garbage and being intimidated with the help of our “failproof” legal system. Thank you Germany, for reminding us what a bunch of Dickweeds we really are…

2. user

Hi, its me again :) they are trying to scare you off. i’m no lawyer, but i took a close look at the TRO, §§ 69d and 69e UrhG. you still have the right to continue reverse engeneering (under certain circumstances)! some excerpt from §§ 69d (3) badly translated: “…you may study the functioning of the program or test without the consent of the owner…” :P @ Sony Lawyers (you must not touch npdrm though) these paragraphs get mentioned in their TRO :D if you have a good lawyer, this mess could be over in a month or two. i could be wrong though. you may be allowed to go even further… but i’m not an expert when it comes to laws & paragraphs. i hope this cheers you up a little bit. good luck, my friend! user

3. Jihab

I stand corrected, this seems pretty much legit and the description of the fact make it clear you are involved in that case (though i don’t get who is “Herr Dipl-Ing. S….”, in 86561.pdf, II.2 , is that you ?) So please accept my apologizes for being an asshole by calling this a scam so quickly , I should have at least waited for counter facts before making up my opinion so straightly. As much as I understand german, I wish you best luck in this case because it seems Germany has pretty much similar law as US DMCA, which pretty much cover their ass attacking you for having reverse-engineered the Hypervisor (it indeed falls under DMCA-like law if this software has been deisgned as part of the copy-protection system). At this time, I’d suggest you to find some kind of agreement with them and kinda continue your research in a more private way, maybe using computer hosted in foreign countries, because it’s clear to me you can not win, this kind of law was pretty much created to avoid the kind of defeat such companies have to face in the past. What surprise me though is how the CCC has not been attacked yet, I guess they made everything up with competent lawyers to make sure they can’t be but it’s hard to actually see a difference between Fail Overflow presentation during last CCC and your own contribution, in regard to the law I mean.

4. NotKnown

Ahm -> Streitwert doesnt mean, that he must pay the whole sum, its just an only indicative for the final sum. maybe 30% of it.

1. Wesker

whatever the most important things in relation to the penalty are that Alex has to pay 250.000€, or he have to go to jail. The first time he would have gone to jail for 6 month and now because it is a case of recurrence he has to go to jail for 2 years if he loose. The amount of dispute is 100.000€ i hope it is understandable ^^°

12. Wesker

“It’s in German of course. Maybe someone could translate it. Take a look at those huge money sums they want from me and i’m still NOT impressed :-) ” *g* doesn’t look like the million dollar $ony wants to have in the beginningXD. Great man! I have to say I have deeply respect for you … well I said in some more times beforeXD

1. CrashSerious

english links for grafs court docs… http://is.gd/FK0ylQ http://is.gd/3O3fk4 http://is.gd/bnzByg http://is.gd/l624bT

13. Newbleeto

Good luck to you Graf, you have all my respect and support. If you presevere, the bastards won’t stand a chance :D Keep fighting, I’ll keep donating :) Peace

14. Jorge

mm if i hack ur web site how u feel, or u paypal account?? its funny? only request this plis. If i were u i have worked in industrial sector, no destroyed it.

1. Kaleb G.

lol troll. Hacking a website or paypal account to vandalize it is not the same as changing an OS to bring back a feature that was never supposed to be removed! Get a better example lol there is nothing wrong with what graf is trying to do here.

15. Phineus

Graf, the problem is that your lawyer didn’t contest the TRO, which should have been the first step weeks ago. Sony got a valid court order against you. If you violate it, you are in contempt of the court, and will be punished. The first 5,000 EUR which you have to pay now are because of that. In this case you aren’t punished for hacking PS3, you are punished for violating the court order. Understand the difference? Your lawyer needs to go to court now and contest the TRO. If you violate it before another decission is reached, you WILL be made to pay 250,000 EUR or put in jail for 6 months. And not because you hack PS3, the legality of which has yet to be tested, but because you violate a standing court order. The same would happen in any country of the world: Someone made claims against you, the court sided with your opponent, a court order was granted, you didn’t contest it, so it stands. You need to talk to your lawyer right now, and maybe get better/additional counsel. And you need to listen! Furterhmore, I wonder why your lawyer didn’t advise you not to hand over anything else (incriminating material) before consulting him first, he probably could have contested that, too. PS. I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. I just have good general knowledge and proper common sense.

1. Jfed

you sound like you know a lot about law and by the sounds of it he is probably right i would talk to your lawyers about it.

2. le D

That is correct – the TRO should be challenged. But it needs money to do so. The risk of fighting the TRO if you loose is minimum around 33.5k € (and that’s in first instance only; i bet sony would appeal [if Chokolo wins in 1st instance] and then the risk increases to around 74k € all together [excl. travelling to courts, pp]). Do you thin Chokolo has that amount of money

3. le D

Addendum: there are three TRO. They cumulate to a risk of close to 175k € (and that’s preliminary injunction only; add additional 230k € for principal proceeding). That’s a huge amount of money…

16. Mamido

Keep fighting, we are all behind you, mail me if maybe you need my HDD to hide your work ! Thank you for your courage dude ! Viel Danke :D

17. Pingback: Graf_Chokolo Court Documents Published - PS3Crunch

18. Candykane

Ill support you with some cash$ think some one sould make a class action suit against sony they imported the PS3 to europe as a PC so they could avoid the taxes that had to be paid for consol. That’s a huge differents with the US. They could only classyfy the ps3 as a PC because linux could be installed on the system . THink it be a verry strong case. also the EU sould ask sony for the taxes because its not a PC any more just a consol so subject to consol tax:P Any way ill send you 50 euro keep up the good fight

1. Kreationz

Actually, I think the law changed prior to the Slim or them removing it, but likely they did it once they no longer had a $$$ or legal reason(as they saw it) to continue to support it. Hacking was and is still to this day an excuse(with the system now more open a better excuse, but still just that).

19. Omnicron

Die können dich nicht dazu auffordern, deinen eigenen Code preiszugeben, da dieser Code dein Eigentum ist und somit auch unter das Urhaberrechtsgesetz fällt ! Sollten Sie es dennoch versuchen, soll Sony die keys für die Entschlüsselung der PS3 rausgeben, um nachvollziehen zu können, ob du Code von ihnen benutzt hast oder nicht ! Dies sollte im “Wege einer einstweiligen Verfügung – der Dringlichkeit wegen ohne mündliche Verhandlung beschlossen werden” !

20. ModIt

@ Graf dont get me wrong, but are you sure, you picked a good lawyer? As far as i’m able to understand these german court documents, your lawyer did nothing to prevent the second tro, or fought the first one… I put the name of the documents uploader in google search ( i assumed it is your lawyer) and his website doesnt look very… let’s say “comforting” – no credentials, no professional website, just a single laywer…. To win such cases you need a specialized law firm with high profiled lawyers ( big cases, llm, phd….) – just like sony have. I hired in my life a lot of lawyers (for all kinds of reasons) and i don’t see any reason why i should have picked this one. (but just my 2cents form an outside view)

1. Kreationz

I think many of us would like the answer to that. Also, do you need help finding another(or better) attorney. I have friends near your location that could help.

21. Spider3

Graf did you get in touch with Professor David S. Touretzky? Do that, see what he managed to do against another big company on his website. You need more attention on your case from the media. More attention = more harder will be for sony to move against you. And absolutely with suggested contest the TRO asap. And let us know if you need hardware or ps3. Don’t be shy to ask. If it’s easier for you..think that we want to donate for our interest and not for you ^^ Wish you all the best. And keep us informed.

22. RonSon

Krass.. mit der Unterlassungserklärung wird ihm sogar untersagt “Reverse Engineering” mit dem System zu treiben. Dies steht gegen geltendes Recht. Sogar die Verbreitung dieser Information die er durch reverse engineering erhalten hat darf Publiziert und jedem zugänglich gemacht werden. Auch krass ist dass die jegliche “Gerätschaften” die in der erklärung aufgelisteten Datein bzgl des PS3 system beinhalten “KÖNNTEN” , beschlagnahmt werden sollen und sogar beschlagnahmt wurden. Ich rall es nicht. SOWAS GILT GEGEN GELTENDES RECHT!!!! Krass was Sony alles erlaubt wird. Üüüübel!

1. Kreationz

Graf isn’t the type to give up that easy, but he could be sitting in jail at the moment, or just hiding current activity or consulting with his lawyer(s) or…. there’s lots of possibilities. It’s amazing how people on the net want instant gratification and look for 24/7 news on something that is only a few hours a day and mostly not released to the public. He’s gone for one day and people are already asking did you give up? A developer doesn’t release a new version of their code every month and people assume a project is dead. Give him time he’s dealing with a lot.

23. Spider3

Graf, from geohot’s Blog: Andy said… Why didn’t you give it to graf April 16, 2011 3:37 AM George Hotz said… @Andy cause I promised it to the EFF. graf if you are reading this, get in touch with me, geohot gmail Contact Geohot. In some way he (still) could help you maybe.

1. Kreationz

GeoHot’s gag order prevents him from directly talking about the case, but he may have an unrelated suggestion or two that could help.

24. onesniperwolf

Bonjour Graf mon anglais n’est pas assez bon pour te parler dans une autre langue que la mienne,toutes mes felicitation pour ton travail ,je te souhaite bon courage et si j’etai aussi douer que toi je reagirais de la memme maniére a chaque menace de sony et je serai encors plus virulant car on veut tous nous prendre dans se monde ,bref tu est un grand respect,au passage j’aurai besoin de deux trois conseil sur un projet et je pense que tu peut m’aider

25. fLU$hENTitY

Good luck Graf, i have donated to your cause again. We owe you so much, the PS3 scene will always be indebted to you. If you need more i will donate again

26. OldGuy

graf_chokolo you should have stayed anonymous and never brought attention to your self online and you have no problems right now, and you still would get credit for your work, the only person you can blame is yourself. I hope you learn from your mistakes, too bad its the hard way.

27. sirup

Egorenkov wird somit vom Landgericht Stuttgart untersagt ” a. dem Betriebssystem der Spielekonsole P… zugehörige Programmdateien, insb. die Datei CORE_OS_PACKAGE … in beliebiger Version zu bearbeiten;” Er darf das ROM, das die Firmware enthält, noch nicht mal mit dem Hammer “bearbeiten”. Da sage man, die Richter hätten keinen Humor. Zumindest haben Sie recht wenig mit Recht am Hut, so scheint mir.

28. TnA

Zitat einer Band: German: ‘Ich glaube eher an die Unschuld einer Hure, als an die Gerechtigkeit der deutschen Justiz.’ English: ‘I rather believe in a nude/whore beeing virgin, then in the justice of the German judiciary.’

29. graf_chokolo

SONY forced us to remove all PS3 technical stuff from this blog guys. I wonder how did they manage to “convince” the judge to allow it. Our law system is practically “eating” from hands of SONY, very sad. Many guys are making money with USB dongles for PS3 and i’m not allowed to put MY PS3 into service mode, it’s hilarious.

30. xRamses

damn SONY that means war… i hope many of you have saved the stuff which posted here … and graf_chokolo what exactly did sony vorbid you? mfg xRamses

1. graf_chokolo

They claim that my OtherOS project supports piracy. I never had anything to do with piracy. Everyone knows it, make it clear to those judges who gave SONY those TROs against me. It would be interesting to know what kind of person those judges are and what they look like.

1. me

Uneducated in computer sciense, perhaps? (Don’t be elitist. It is rude.) And if Sony suggests that OtherOS supports piracy – then ask them how. Perhaps Sony could teach the pirates a trick or two.

31. Spider3

WRAAAHHH i am getting MAD more and more with SONY. I really wish they will collapse as company and I’ll keep trying and do my best until the end of my days. Really sorry about that Graf. Any update from your lawyer? did he contested the TRO? Please don’t forget to keep in touch with the Professor. I think it’s crucial to put the attention of media on this to avoid sony to abuse the law. In a few days my salary will arrive. I’ll be ready to donate. Just tell us how much you need so we have a clear goal to reach. We won’t never give up! Understood Sony? NEVER!

32. Pingback: Sony Forced To Remove PS3 Stuff Or Risk 6 Month Jail – graf_chokolo - PS3Crunch

33. xRamses

Our law lives from bribery i think … But are you still allowed to help other people with OtherOS and writte new code for it or not? Maybe when hundred’s of people work on OtherOS we could finish it but i dont think that anyone has the same or even similar knowledge as you … mfg xRamses

34. Cookie

Well, I’ve got a full backup of the git, and even a backup of grafs site I made a couple days ago with httrack. Unfortunately I’ve been away for a bit, so the backup is from 5 days ago, but it should contain pretty much everything. :) I guess I’ll be uploading them to a few places soon. Btw, screw you $ony! :)

35. xRamses

Yeah upload the stuff on as many places as you can linux will not go down A few years ago a hacker has said that our law system is like a program: It follows strict rules but money always can rewrite or bypass this rules … We cannot tolerate this! mfg xRamses

36. Cookie

Here is grafchokolo.com as of 13/04 If someone else has a more recent copy, get it out there. “Link removed” Backups already made on several filehosts. The information is out there, $ony cannot get rid of it. I might upload dukio’s full git too, but considering it’s on git-hacks, and probably gitbrew too, I think I’ll wait.

1. graf_chokolo

Hey guys, please do not post links here because SONY will get to me for that. Thanks. Or we will be forced to close this part of blog too i fear.

37. xRamses

Hm think that this blog isn’t the best place to post links again to technical things I think that graf will delete these post or he will get trouble with sony – again mfg xRamses

38. xRamses

hm what i really dont understand is why SONY have so big problems with you and your blog, other site publish whole tutorials how to make a CFW and play Games which you can even download at the same sites! I dont understand why these sites dont get problems with SONY .. BTW graf can you please answer my question above or are you not allowed to do this? mfg xRamses

1. graf_chokolo Post author

Guys, i’m a tough guy and won’t give up without a fight. I’m ready to stake my life. So, you support me with money for LEGAL FIGHT and i stake my life.

1. graf_chokolo Post author

I won’t ask you for money for my penalties, but i need support with costs for my lawyers. I don’t know how much exactly, it all depends on how long this fight will take.

39. japsander

I don’t think the npdrm payload helped legal matters but Linux has nothing at all to do with piracy. if you carry on I hope you find what Sony is hiding in there.

40. Creature

@xRamses The main reason is that graf violated the first TRO. I don’t understand, why the lawyers did nothing back then. Just hope he has some good lawyers.

1. graf_chokolo Post author

Guys, i didn’t violate the first TRO. Read it carefully, i was not allowed to publish games (or something that has to do with games), HV bible didn’t contain any games. SONY’s lawyer claimed that OtherOS is a game.

1. Spider3

WHAT??? First all the bla bla to PROOF ps3 IS a computer because he’s able to run linux, browse the web,.. Now saying otherOs is a game. Great i’ll try to go at the sony store tomorrow and ask to buy OTHEROS. I want it in a retail box of course. Oh, is not available? I see, Can I buy it on PSN Store? Neither? Oh, great game, widely available :P Seriously, I don’t know what happen to this company. they are ridicolous.

2. ModIT

So you lawyer should work for his money and get this ridiculus second TRO lifted, because Sony knowingly mislead the court… What is the actual status on this case? What is your lawyer doing at the moment to help your case?

41. Spider3

Sony is just trying to scare Graf, exactly like they did with Geohot. Really Sony, why are you insisting so much on this? Why are you not targeting websites with tutorials on how to download, install cfw and PLAY pirated game? Do you have something to hide inside OtherOs? Something that if revealed it will make you loose tons of money? Patent infringments again..? Or something more bad..? There must be something..we’ll dig deeper into. You actions at the end will turn back on yourself, stay assured. You can’t shutdown the internet!

42. kostenvoranschlag

lass dir ein kostenvoranschlag für die prozesskosten geben. wenn herr. boecker dein RA ist, scheint das zumindest jemand zu sein, der die materie versteht… falls herr rachow der richter ist, sehe ich jedoch einen rechtsstreit kommen, der auch vors olg gehen wird…rachow gibt seltenst klein bei… Rachow: “…ich vermag nicht vorherzusehen, wer hier als gewinner rausgehen wird…” Ein vergleich ist die logische konsequenz…

43. Spider3

http://ps3crunch.net/ps3-owner-lodges-complaint-european-commission-sony.html GRAF hold on, reinforcements are coming!!! ^^ ^^ ^^